Rebuilt HTML — PaddleOCR-VL (Baidu)
Semantic HTML reconstructed from the OCR item tree (headings, text, lists, tables, form fields). overlay · view JSON
Faculty Senate Minutes 10/8/18
NAME Attendance Department Office
Shawn Lucas PRESENT Ag, Communities, and Env Academic Policies
Leigh Whittinghill PRESENT Ag, Communities, and Env Chair, Curriculum
Ken Semmens PRESENT Aqu and Aquatic Sci Vice Chair, Bud &Ac
Herman Walston PRESENT Fam and Cons Sci Professional Concern
Erin Gilliam (Parliamentarian) EXCUSED Soc and Beh Sci Vice Chair, Acad Pol
Mara Merlino (Vice President) PRESENT Soc and Beh Sci Professional Concern
Jyotica Batra EXCUSED Math and Comp Sci Academic Policies
Clifton Wise PRESENT Math and Comp Sci Professional Concern
Caroline Gibson EXCUSED Hum and Perf Arts Chair, Prof Concern
Marlin McKay PRESENT Hum and Perf Arts Chair, Acad Policies
Helen Smith (Secretary) PRESENT Hum and Perf Arts Secretary,Curriculum
Dantrea Hampton PRESENT Library Vice Chair, Curriculum
Rene Desborde PRESENT Bus and Tech Budget and Ac Sup
Jason Keeler PRESENT Edu and Hum Dev Secretary, Acad Pol
Phillip Clay Edu and Hum Dev Chair, Bud &Ac Sup
Li Lu PRESENT Nat Sci Vice Chair, Prof Con
Bruce Griffiths PRESENT Nat Sci Secretary, Bud &Ac
Rebecca McCoy PRESENT Nur and Health Sci Curriculum
Lisa Turner PRESENT Nur and Health Sci Budget and Ac Sup
Robert Griffin PRESENT At-large (Hum and Per) Curriculum
Joe Moffett (President) PRESENT At-large (Hum and Per)
Debbra Tate PRESENT At-large (Library) Secretary, Prof Con
Allison Young PRESENT At-large (Ag, Coms, En) Professional Concern
Swagata Banerjee PRESENT At-large (Bus and Tec) Academic Policies
Non-Senator Committee Members
Nkechi Amadife Academic Policies
Ken Andries PRESENT Ag, Communities, and Env Curriculum
Changzheng Wang Ag, Communities, and Env Curriculum
William Welsh Budget and Ac Sup
Mike Unuakhalu Budget and Ac Sup
Farida Olden Ag, Communities, and Env Professional Concern
Guests (in order of sign-in)
John Sedlaceck PRESENT Ag, Communities, and Env Chair
Elgie McFayden PRESENT Faculty Regent
JoAnne Rainey PRESENT BSS Faculty
Wilfred Riley PRESENT BSS Ombudsman
Kirk Pomper PRESENT Ag, Communities, and Env Dean
James Obielodan PRESENT Business Chair
The fourth regular meeting of the 2018-2019 Faculty Senate took place on Monday, 8 October 2018, at 3:10pm in 123 Hathaway Hall.
- 1. Call to Order: The Meeting was called at 3:14pm, with a Quorum.
- Approval of Agenda: The Agenda was approved with the removal of line 4 (Travis Haskins, Academic Advisor, had asked to be added to the agenda, but then was unable to attend the meeting.)
- Approval of Minutes of the 24 September 2018 Faculty Senate Meeting: Change under item 9: the discussion about the journal access should state that “the library had received a modest funding increase this year, not several years ago. It had been three years since the library had been able to purchase books prior to the increase in funding this year.” The minutes were approved with this one change.
4. Faculty Senate President Report: Chair Moffett noted the following:
- The chair of one committee was asking if they could have previous minutes of past years. Moffett has been spending the last two weeks contacting past secretaries for prior minutes. He is uploading the past minutes as part of the Senate digital archive.
- There are vacancies for key committees. He has convened a standing Elections Committee, which will meet this week and get elections for these positions going.
- The Chair of the Ad Hoc Senate Committee on the Academic Reorganization is Cindy Glass. This committee met last Wednesday. Members are going to talk to faculty in each unit and to deans.
- Faculty Regent Elgie McFayden asked if the University Tenure and Promotion Committee has been elected. He stated that the membership has been unfair. A senator responded that it is an elective process; all committees have representation. Moffett then projected on the screen the University Committee Book, which explains how the University T & P Committee members are elected by the faculty at large for a term of two years. There is currently a vacancy from library and comp/bus sciences that needs to be filled.
6. Academic Policies Committee - Marlin McKay: Chair McKay reported the following:
- Provost Yates had attended their last meeting. The committee discussed adding mini-mesters to the academic calendar: two eight week semesters, a winter term, an Extreme Spring Break weeklong term, a May-mester, and two summer terms. The committee voted for these terms, and McKay will present them as an Action Item at the next Senate meeting.
- Rising junior assessment dates were also approved: November 14th and 15th and in April. An Action Item on this will also be presented to Senate at the next session.
- Moffett asked McKay when the new sessions will start. McKay said this winter. Moffett asked McKay about the feasibility of an “extreme week.” McKay replied that his committee just determined the feasibility of these terms vis-à-vis the academic calendar, and he directed other questions to the Provost and Deputy Provost. The way the extreme week was presented to his committee is that if a student is passing a course—for instance, a math course—but has a problem with one concept—for instance, polynomials—the student and teacher could cover that issue in the extreme week. This term will start with a pilot of one or two courses. McKay noted that the committee didn’t have data or information about how such courses were working at other institutions.
- A Senator asked about summer: will it be the two 8-week terms, or will it be two 8-week terms and one longer term? McKay responded that all APC is over is whether these courses will fit into the academic calendar, but he opined that it would seem less complicated just to have the two eight-week terms.
- Curriculum Committee Chair Whittinghill noted that an existing course going for a shorter term would not have to come through Curriculum Committee.
- 7. Professional Concerns Committee – Caroline Gibson: Dr. Gibson was excused, so PCC Vice Chair Li Lu gave the following report:
- The committee re-discussed the Faculty Evaluation Form, which had been approved last year in Senate, but was rejected by the President. They will be sending the form up again, without change.
- Another issue was an old, unpassed Action Item from 2014/2015 requesting that
- Another issue was an old, unpassed Action Item from 2014/2015 requesting that Biology/Chemistry/Psychology teaching loads be based on contact hours rather than credit hours. The reason is that a 3-hour course in these lab courses requires 4 hours of lecture and 2 hours of lab. A 4-hour course also requires more than just 4 contact hours. Instructors of these courses believe that the number of credit hours does not reflect how much they work. This issue was discussed in 2015, but the Action Item got lost, so the committee is sending it back up again.
- Also, PCC discussed whether Area Coordinators should get paid. They determined that they needed more information from Coordinators in all departments. They will design a study to collect information on which areas have Coordinators and how each gets paid.
- Moffett agreed that this item had been approved in Senate but had stalled out in the Provost's office. Lu explained that she was presenting this as a point of information. A senator asked how many contact hours this would add up to. Lu responded that it would add up to 14 contact hours for those who teach classes with labs.
- Another Senator in the Math Department explained that the main issue is that a situation could arise where a faculty member is assigned three courses with lab components – that would be 9 hours of lecture and 9 hours of lab – which would be highly unfair to that faculty member. These faculty believe that lab instruction is the primary side of instruction because lab skills are what a student needs to be a good scientist. These labs deserve equivalent time. The Senator explained that they would not be able to staff their courses if they went with 12-contact-hour loads. That's why they suggested 14. As enrollment grows, it will be easier to build in an additional lab into an existing course, rather than add an entire course.
- A Senator in the Music department noted in that department, students have ensembles which meet 5 days a week for 3 hours a day, but the instructor is only getting credit for a one hour class. The math Senator responded that there may certainly be other departments where workload could be recalculated.
- Moffett pointed out that there are places in the Faculty Handbook where information like this should be added. He noted that this issue is not up for a vote, as it has already been passed in Senate; it is just being forwarded to the Administration.
10 minutes were added to the discussion.
- A PCC committee member stated that at their meeting, a memo asking about this issue had been sent to the Provost; he responded that his understanding is that no Coordinators are getting paid. Another committee member affirmed.
- Another committee member said that they are putting a questionnaire together to find out what specifically the duties of the coordinator are. There is a set of tasks that are administrative in that
- PCC also discussed the issue of Faculty Recognition; they are gathering information on this issue.
way. The committee will have a better argument about pay once they can report what the duties are.
- Regent McFayden noted that Coordinators are instrumental in putting together reports for CPE and Program Review, and that those Coordinators who get paid are in programs where their accrediting bodies require Coordinators. Moffett agreed that most Coordinators are doing a lot of extra work.
- Moffett noted that there is a standing committee for Faculty Recognition with a couple of vacancies. A senator asked if the committee does more than elect a Distinguished Professor. Moffett said he didn't know.
- Another PCC member noted that the committee also discussed the possibility of outsourcing our campus police and bringing in a security company as opposed to having campus police. She asked if there was confirmation that this discussion was happening at the Administration level. She noted that students have commented that we don't have enough campus security. But rather than having a security company from outside, it would be preferable to have a security detail that would be in the best interests of the campus and remain on campus.
- Also, this PCC member noted that there is currently some competition for student parking, creating a conflict for campus police who do their due diligence by issuing tickets, and then find out further incriminating information about students.
8. Curriculum Committee - Leigh Whittinghill: Chair Whittinghill reported the following:
- The committee passed Action Item FSCC 18-19-03 – Addition of Course Assessment Plan to the Course Proposal Form. This Item would add a new line to the Course Proposal Form, line 17, which is the "Course Assessment Plan."
- The committee passed Action Item FSCC 18-19-04 - Change of Committee Forms after Dissolution of the Graduate Council. Whittinghill explained the committee voted to end the use of the Graduate Council Tracking Document for graduate course proposals because the Graduate Council has been disbanded. Instead, the same form will be used for proposing both graduate and undergraduate courses.
- A Senator asked, if a faculty member is creating an entire program, when it comes to the student learning outcomes and methods of assessment, those are determined by the faculty member. Whittinghill responded that all sections of the same course will have the same SLO's and course objectives, and that this Item is about program assessment.
- A member of the Curriculum Committee pointed out that this is a change to the course proposal form; it's not about program proposal. Usually, whoever is going to teach the course is the person who writes the course proposal.
- A guest asked if a compromise could be reached by asking, how does this course fit into the program? Each course needs to fit into the Program Level outcomes. The method of assessment will change but how the course fits into the program wouldn't change all that much.
- Whittinghill stated that the reason for adding this section on course assessment is partly to forestall what has been happening with confusion about assessment. She agreed to take the issue back to the committee for further discussion.
A Senate vote was called on FSCC 18-19-04. The Action Item was passed unanimously with no abstentions.
- 9. Budget and Academic Support Committee – Phillip Clay: Vice Chair Ken Andries gave the report in Clay's absence, reporting the following:
- The committee talked with Dr. Stashia Emanuel about etexts. Dr. Emanuel explained that:
- Ms. Sheila Stuckey from the library was also a guest at the meeting. Members of the Agriculture, Communities and the Environment Division had asked BASC about access to Science Direct, an online source for scientific journal articles. There has been a concern about not having the ability to download journals. The committee investigated whether faculty could use Science Direct to download articles. An institution can pay for 100-200 downloads at a time. The ACE Division did go ahead and subscribe for 100 downloads (at $30 per download). One person administers faculty/student access to Science Direct to make sure there is no other free way to access the journal article needed.
- Chair Clay was able to obtain minutes for many previous years' BASC meetings.
- There is interest among faculty for doing a survey to identify rooms and facilities in each building that need upgrading. For instance, a room might have a chalk board only, or a projector but no cord, or no uniformity among plugs, etc. And how many students does each classroom accommodate? Apparently, there has been no such survey previously.
- The committee has invited Provost Yeats and Vice President of Finance Allen to speak to attend a future meeting soon about details of the Instructional Budget.
- KSU adopted etexts to address the student-text costs.
- The Pearson Contract is under review.
- Fall 2019 textbook options are being investigated.
- ➢ She does not anticipate the same Bb-Pearson etext integration problems.
- Instructors have an option to teach without the book – to instead use case studies, for instance.
- There is some money available for non-Pearson texts. Faculty should approach the Provost to ask about this.
- Faculty can use OpenStax to get books.
- November 1 is the spring textbook adoption deadline.
- A Senator pointed out that the Registrar might have a list of the number of seats in classrooms.
Another Senator noted that what's in one room one semester might not be in the same room another semester. Another Senator said that IT does not address the issue of projectors and wires. They also don't do anything with Apple products. Another Senator added that our etext contract is $185 per student enrolled on campus, but one student may not have any etexts in any class, another may have several etexts.
2 minutes were added to discussion.
- A Senator asked if the BASC committee could address the timely movement of documents among departments for business processes. Applications are missing deadlines because forms move slowly across campus to completion. He stated that KSU should never have to give back money to the federal government because of a missed grant deadline. Andries agreed that there are issues with the pace of form-processing. Dr. Pomper noted that he has met with Allen, who he says is open to changing processes to streamline them.
- 10. Faculty Ombudsman Report: Ombudsman Wilfred Reilly reported the following:
- Title III funds are back in at KSU, as of October 1st. Travel reimbursements for faculty should again be available. Mario Radford is no longer the Title III Coordinator; that role has not yet been filled. All T3 questions should be addressed to Nikki McZee for now.
- The first meeting between himself, Senate President Moffett and Deputy Provost Kim Sipes occurred two weeks ago. One issue that came up during the meeting was the role and value of the Area Coordinators in terms of the Return on Investment of that position. All of the Coordinators have been asked to defend the value of the position to justify compensation. It was mentioned that it would be very useful to have a one-page description of the Coordinator role for every department to clarify what the Coordinator does. The duties and compensation of the Coordinators across campus vary greatly. PCC is working on putting together a list of duties. Reilly asked faculty to contact PCC or him if they would like to give information about Coordinator duties; if we want to win an argument for pay for that position, we need to delineate what the role is about.
- Reilly's next meeting with University President Brown is at 3pm tomorrow; he asked faculty to let him know if they would like him to address any issues with the President.
- Reilly noted that he is also a member of the Reorganization Committee, but that Chair Cindy Glass might be a better person to consult about details of that committee.
- A Senator noted that this issue of Coordinators started about 2005/06, but that he had no records of that discussion. Reilly agreed that the issue is important and has a long history.
- Another Senator stated that graduate students currently have no health insurance, which is an issue.
- A Senator asked if Reilly could address with the President the issue of when there would be tutors in the ACE tutoring center. Reilly responded that this issue was already on the agenda.
- Another Senator asked when the mold issue in Exum is going to be addressed. The mold is taking over classrooms and moving toward office space. Reilly said he’d take that up with the President. Another Senator said that this mold was the same reason that Chapelle and Atwood were shut down.
- 11. Other Business:
- A Senator said he has not been able to locate Interfolio to upload documents, and he asked about the status of Interfolio. Moffett responded that the 30th was the mandatory deadline for faculty to upload their information. Several senators agreed that there were problems with Interfolio. A Senator said that the Administration sent out an email with the link to Interfolio, but that you have to be careful not to go into the development site. Another Senator said that when she input information line by line, it didn't save. Moffett said that he hasn't heard anything from Academic Affairs about this. They should know that there were these problems, and he will let Senators know if he hears anything from AA. A Senator said that the problem with these upload issues is that our COLA money is being held up on account of this. The Ombudsman responded that he will raise this issue with the President in his meeting. Moffett noted that they are supposed to put the Interfolio link on the KSU website.
- 12. Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at 4:45pm.
Respectfully submitted by Helen Smith, Faculty Senate Secretary.